Day 15--Friday, December 3, 2010
Today was a whirlwind of a day: off to work in the morning, luncheon with coworkers followed by happy hour at a ritzy restaurant/lounge downtown to celebrate a friend's birthday, then dinner with a group of sister-friends (we go out together every First Friday to try a different local restaurant) at a Moroccan restaurant with live bellydancing--whew!
(the inspiration for today's look)
Such a jam-packed itinerary calls for a beautiful look that can go from day to evening without a hiccup and I had just a few shades in mind. Knowing where I was going to end up this evening I decided to name today's look for the restaurant where the First Friday girls and I were meeting--Marrakech!
(side note, I think it's incredibly funny that many of my best pics are taken with my itty bitty iPhone 3G camera while sitting in my car in my driveway lmbo!!)
This bit of gorgeous takes advantage of the technique of foiling mineral eyeshadow to intensify the color; it also makes use of one of Orglamix's mineral glow shades for something other than adding a bit of extra color to the cheeks--a little bit of innovation, hooray!
As this was applied in the morning, it was easy to begin with a clean, moisturized face. Mineral foundation was brushed on, followed by Orglamix HD Microfinish Powder in Hush Hush to set the face and Orglamix Magnetism prep/prime on the eyelids. From here the application proceeded as follows:
1) Foil Orglamix Silk and paint over lid
2) Pat Orglamix Sandalwood onto outer "v" and into crease and blend into the edges of Silk to contour
3) Pat Orglamix Mineral Glow in Rose Quartz onto brow bone and blend down into upper edge of Sandalwood to soften this boundary and create a small gradient
4) Foil Orglamix Saffron and apply as liner to upper lash line and to inner corner of eye to highlight; mix a little more Saffron with black eyeliner and apply to lower water line
5) Blend matte brown shadow into brows to shape/define and apply black mascara to lashes
6) Sweep Orglamix Mineral Glow in Rose Quartz over cheekbones, center of forehead, nose, and chin
7) Mix Orglamix Silk and a little bit of Saffron with shimmery pink lip gloss and apply to lips!
I think this is great for day or evening as it is (and in fact this is how I wore the look), however if you like you can drama it up for an evening of dancing by using black liner on the upper lash line, adding an extra coat or two of mascara (or false eyelashes), and using Saffron rather than Silk as the primary color on the lips.
Foiling is a fascinating technique and it's incredible how different a shadow can look when foiled; for example Silk in the look above is foiled, bringing out the pink tones in it, whereas in the look below (Day 12, just a few days ago) it was applied dry to the inner half of the eye and is much more neutral/golden and subtle:
But then, that's all part of the fun of playing with colors on the face and different ways of applying it--and the whole point of this challenge is to get creative, isn't it?