Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 13: Cleopatra

Disclaimer:  All content is my own opinion only and should in no way be construed as a paid endorsement or representation of any companies named.  I receive no compensation whatsoever from any makeup or other companies named/linked to in my posts for my looks or reviews.  I just like to have fun with all the pretty pretty colors...

Day 13--Wednesday, December 1, 2010

After a couple of days of "soft & subtle" I decided to play a bit with some of the more daring shades in my collection; in honor of one of the legendary beauties of the ancient world, I named the look after Cleopatra, one of the few woman pharaohs of Egypt.  As she was a woman of both Egyptian and Greek descent, I chose Orglamix Aegean as the shade around which this look is built.

Careful, this one's a bit on my wild side ;)


(omigosh, what???)

One of the interesting things about this look, aside from the fact that it's pretty dramatic, is the way it makes my eye color so much darker--they almost look black here even in close range, whereas other looks (especially gold/pale neutrals and greens) will make my eyes look like more of a golden brown caramel color.  Funny how something so small can make such a difference in your appearance!


(a pic of this look in progress; see the dramatic difference between the bare eye and the completed one--WOW!!)

And before you ask, no, I did NOT wear this to work (lol); flexible and informal they may be but even they have limits and this is a bit extreme for that setting.  Instead, I got home, cleansed and moisturized my face, and applied mineral foundation and Orglamix HD Microfinish Powder in Hush Hush, then prepped my eyelids with Orglamix Magnetism prep/prime.  After that, the application went something like this:

1)  Pat Orglamix Moonstone all over eye from brow to lash line and blend out to bring forward the slight gold/green shimmer in this pale shade

2)  Pat Orglamix Skyline onto the inner 1/2 of eye and blend upward into crease

3)  Pat Orglamix Aegean onto outer 1/2 of eye and blend into crease, dragging across toward inner portion of crease

4)  Pat Orglamix Obsidian (gorgeous shimmery charcoal blue) into crease over Aegean and blend, blend, blend!!

5)  Apply Orglamix Black Magic foiled to line upper lash line; go ahead and use a heavy hand with this, as you want to evoke the dark, kohl-lined eyes of Ancient Egypt.  Also line the lower lash line with the foiled Black Magic; if you like you can do as I did and draw a fanciful curlicue from one (or both) lower lash line down toward the cheek.

6)  Pat a little more Moonstone into inner corner of eyes to highlight and draw down onto inner 1/3 of lower lid

7)  Blend matte brown shadow into brows to shape/define and add LOTS of black mascara to lashes!

8)  Sweep Orglamix Mineral Glow in Tourmaline over cheekbones, etc.

9)  Mix Orglamix Gingko and a little of Orglamix the F Word with clear gloss and apply to lips


(a closeup of the "curlicue" eye, showing a teeny bit of the microglitter in Black Magic)


This was super fun to play with and I love how it came out--even if my darling hubby and our little Boxer babies were the only ones who got to see it.  The only thing I regret is that the camera could not for the life of me get a handle on showing how glittery-glam the Black Magic was--that stuff is POWERFUL when foiled!!