Saturday, November 27, 2010

Day 8: Morning Glory

Disclaimer:  All content is my own opinion only and should in no way be construed as a paid endorsement or representation of any companies named.  I receive no compensation whatsoever from any makeup or other companies named/linked to in my posts for my looks or reviews.  I just like to have fun with all the pretty pretty colors...


Day 8--Friday, November 26, 2010

(What, you were expecting something like "Black Friday"?  "Doorbuster"?  I'll leave that to the experts; myself, I'm a shopping moderate who loves to sleep in after the hustle and bustle of cooking Thanksgiving dinner for the whole family, thank you very much...)

In old Hawai'i, home of some of my maternal ancestors, this time of year was known as Makahiki, a season of gathering tithes to ensure the members of the island communities who could not provide for themselves had access to food and other basic needs.  This season lasted from late November to the Spring Equinox in March--how's that for a Spirit of Giving?

In honor of Makahiki and Thanksgiving both, I went to my neighborhood yoga studio and took part in an awesome practice called 108 Sun Salutations, a benefit for our local women's shelter.  In lieu of the usual class fee, the studio requested participants to bring donations from the shelter's wish list (I chose to bring travel-size toiletries and paper goods) or cash donations; by the time I arrived 15 minutes before the event there was a pretty sizable pile of donated items and I was glad to add to it.

The practice was very rigorous and I'm a relative beginner to yoga, so I made good use of the pauses to sip water and try to keep my heart from racing out of my chest lol...but it was a wonderful way to begin the day after Thanksgiving and continue in the true spirit of the Season.

Inspired by Makahiki and the 108 Sun Salutations, I created Day 8's look in shades of pale blue-violet and pink, like the morning glory flower that opens for the sun every day:


This look was created using some of my new goodies from Orglamix, received by mail on Friday and a birthday present I gifted to myself (and I am grateful for the capacity to do so!).  Of course, after a couple of hours of yoga practice I needed a bath, so my face was freshly scrubbed and moisturized, then prepared with foundation and neutral primer on the eyelids.  I then added a sheer sweep of:

1)  Orglamix HD Microfinish Powder in Hush Hush

I have to say here that even without the use of correctors I watched in astonishment as several of the flaws that plague me most faded into "barely noticeable" status as I applied this powder--sparingly, following Cheri's advice.  This is amazing stuff and I would recommend it as a first purchase to any newcomer to the Orglamix shop!!

Back to the look:



After applying the Hush Hush I continued the application as follows:

2)  Pat Orglamix Skyline into the crease and outer "v" of the eye and blend inward over the outer 1/3 of the eye

3)  Pat Orglamix Honeymoon Sweet (one of my favs, a lovely peachy-pink shade, very like the sunrise!) onto the lid covering the inner 2/3; blend gently into the lower edges of the Skyline to avoid a harsh boundary between colors

4)  With a STEADY hand and a fine brush (I used a pencil brush), draw a line over the upper edge of the Skyline with Orglamix Sesame and blend out (careful, this shade is more intense than it looks!)

5)  Pat Orglamix Moonstone under the brow and onto the brow bone, blending down into the Sesame to soften this line and make a pretty blue/slate/pearl gradient; take a little more Moonstone and drag down to the inner corner of the eye to highlight.  Blend out any sharp edges.

6)  Apply Orglamix Obsidian wet (I made a foiling medium out of lavender hydrosol and vegetable glycerin using a 3-1 ratio--that is, 3/4 hydrosol and 1/4 glycerin) to the outer 2/3 of the upper lash line and drag into a wing to glam it up.  

7)  Take a bit more Obsidian onto a dry fine liner brush and drag onto the outer 2/3 of the lower lash line to smoke it up a little.

8)  Blend matte brown shadow into the brows and apply 2 coats of black mascara to the lashes

9)  Sweep Orglamix Mineral Glow in Tourmaline over the cheeks to add a touch of color

10)  Finish off the look with a pale pink shimmer lip gloss


Hubby walked in when I was done and said, "Wow, you did your eyes!  Very nice..."

I liked the widening effect of placing a highlighter such as Moonstone on the inner corner of the eye and using the shimmery dark teal blue of Obsidian to line only the outer portion of the eye (especially useful as I think my eyes are rather close together...0.0)

Whew!  Finally all caught up posting my looks after a busy holiday week!  See you all again this evening for Day 9.