Sunday, November 28, 2010

Day 10: Elderberry Fairy!

Disclaimer:  All content is my own opinion only and should in no way be construed as a paid endorsement or representation of any companies named.  I receive no compensation whatsoever from any makeup or other companies named/linked to in my posts for my looks or reviews.  I just like to have fun with all the pretty pretty colors...

You may recall from the post for Day 9's look that yesterday was for making yummy and medicinal syrups for the Winter/Spring season.  After being up late finishing the syrups (the bases take a while to decoct into a concentrate, which is then strained and blended with brandy, honey, and fruit concentrates for flavor and to preserve the base--really just a very concentrated, very strong herbal tea), I slept in and then woke up to a BIG clean-up job in the kitchen--eek!

Part of the way through, I stopped to look at the finished syrups, sitting prettily in their gallon jars and waiting to be decanted into smaller containers--a portion each for my Mama, my baby sis, and me  ~ . o



They looked so gorgeous, I found my inspiration for today's 30 Days/30 Ways look--Elderberry Fairy!!



Oh, my!!!  Pretty cool, huh?  My thanks to Snarky P., who further inspired me to go wild on this one--you rock, chickie!

An interesting feature of this look is the little purple trail leading to a heart-shaped violet beauty mark on my upper left cheekbone, covering a dark spot that I usually hide with concealer--how fun!  This look also reminds me of the fantastic fairy art of folks such as Amy Brown, as well as the makeup of Harlequin jesters and Mardi Gras festivals--but without being too over-the-top...

You know the drill, people:  start with clean, moisturized skin and foundation/veil if you like (I certainly did, using Orglamix HD Microfinish Powder in Hush Hush to set this base) and prep the eyelids with a good primer--I used Orglamix Magnetism once again for this look.

Once accomplished, begin the application:

1)  Pat Orglamix Jasmine all over lid from brow to lash line and blend out for a shimmery, faintly pink-violet base

2)  Pat Orglamix Fig gently over lid and blend up slightly into crease

3)  Apply Orglamix Grape Hyacinth wet (I used my favorite foiling medium) in a broad wave shape, beginning with a narrow downturn at the inner corner, arching up across the crease and under the brow bone, and ending in a double wing at the outer corner of the eye (oh, the drama!)

4)  Apply Orglamix creamliner in Venomous (a gorgeous deep matte violet) to outer 2/3 of lash line and draw out and up into a wing at outer corner of eye, then draw down and across outer 2/3 of lower lash line.  Take up some more Venomous and draw a wavy little "trail" from outer corner of eye toward cheekbone, ending in a little heart-shaped "beauty mark" below one eye (or both if you like)

5)  Apply Orglamix HD Violet wet to inner corner of eye and as liner for inner 1/3 of upper and lower lash lines; at the inner corner, draw the wet shadow down into an "inverted" wing

6)  Apply Orglamix Mineral Twinkle Effects in Purple wet over the Venomous for added sparkle and drama!

7)  Blend matte brown shadow into brows to shape/define and apply 2 coats of black mascara to lashes

8)  Mix Orglamix Gingko with lip balm and apply to lips for a sheer, dark violet shimmer.


A fun and flirtatious look for a party or night out on the town!  If desired, you could intensify the look by adding HD Violet wet over the Grape Hyacinth (once the latter has dried, of course!) and/or sweeping the Twinkle Effects in Purple dry over the lid from the crease to lash line for even more sparkle.

Next up: Return of the Work Week (reeee, reeee, reeee!!!)