Monday, June 6, 2011

"Like a Goth Rainbow"

FOTD June 3, 2011

It was Friday, I was tired as heck at work and soooo looking forward to quitting time.  Toward the end of the day, my dad calls to ask: "you have any plans this evening?"  To which I replied, "Ah, no.  Why?"

"Steve & I did the wine pouring thing today and we're having the neighbors over for wine tasting.  About 6:30?"

First, let me decode:  "the wine pouring thing" refers to the California State Fair's annual wine competition, where judges award ribbons for the best wines in the state.  It's a well-documented fact that CA makes some seriously world class wine (though it's by no means the only game in town, it is definitely one of the pleasures and privileges of living here), so there's some kick ass stuff in this competition.  My dad has worked this event for eight years now.  One of the perks: you go home at the end of the three-day competition with about a case or so of opened bottles that were part of the competition tasting.  Bigger perk: a couple of weeks after the competition you get to pick up your "payment"--nearly 3 cases worth of unopened wine!!

"...we're having the neighbors over for wine tasting" refers to what needs to be done as soon as possible with the case-ish of opened wine: drink it up now.  Otherwise you will soon have very sour wine, which unless you have the knack for converting it to vinegar, is a total waste.

Of course I said, "sure, I'll be there"!  I just got a package that week from Andrea of My Pretty Zombie (MPZ), which is a fav of fellow bloggers mNg and Manda, among others.  I decided to bust out the sample of Wicked Crochet for this impromptu gathering, as it has an inky purple base that just said "wine tasting party."  When I posted the pics of this look to my FB page, my friend Erin commented the following:
It's like a goth rainbow ♥
I loved that so much I asked if I could use it for the title of this post, to which she graciously agreed ;)  Mahalo sweetie!!  Here's the look:




On my face: Benefit The POREfessional (apples of cheeks & forehead), Meow Equilibrium Balancing Powder (primer) + Flawless Feline foundation in Naughty Korat

The "goth rainbow" effect makes this appear to be a much more complicated look than it is, which I attribute to the complexity of MPZ's Wicked Crochet, which I applied to the lid and blended out in the crease--this shadow has some serious sparkle in it, thanks to a liberal dose of teal-green microglitter.  Here's what's on my eyes with it:

TFSI in Candlelight topped with Pixie Epoxy spread over the lid only
MPZ Wicked Crochet (on lid & blended into crease to smoke it out)
Meow Ideal Eyes in Sexy (applied with a small brush to the upper crease blended down into Wicked Crochet)
Antoinette's Revolution Cosmetics Powdered Wigs (brow bone)
UD 24/7 Pencil in Rockstar (upper lash line & waterlines)
Benefit badGal Lash mascara

Cheeks:  Ingenue blush by Mixology (very subtle stuff but great for everyday wear)

Lips: Aveda Nourish-Mint lip color in Sutra topped with Aveda Lip Shine in Grapefruit Pulp


Everyone loved this at the party, especially this woman who was rockin' her Goth (she was introduced to me as the daughter of the old judge who lived across the street).  She declared her love for the Wicked Crochet on my lids and asked "is that from MAC or Nars?"  To which I grinned and replied "it's My Pretty Zombie."  This gleeful statement raised my father's eyebrows and sent the woman into his kitchen for a pen and paper so I could write down the name of Andrea's shop on Etsy.  I hope she likes whatever she may end up ordering ;)

MKA,

Lizzy

PS--I was so tired after the party that I went to bed wearing this look.  I had to be at work at 8:00 the next morning (Saturday, ugh, I've now worked three weekends in a row) and was in such a rush to get out the door that I just touched up the foundation, cleaned up my lower eyes a bit and ran to work.  After work, I headed straight to my hula sister's home to wili (weave) a lei out of leather leaf fern for a hula gig the next day.  So I ended up wearing this look for more than 24 hours and it still looked fabulous!!  I was complemented on it by two of my hula sisters, both of whom are licensed estheticians.  PE, wow!!

Disclaimer:  All content is my own opinion only and should in no way be construed as a paid endorsement or representation of any companies named.  I receive no compensation whatsoever from any makeup or other companies/blogs that are named/linked to in my posts for my looks or reviews.  All of the products used in this look I paid for with my own money (my hubby wouldn't have it any other way, lol!), except for Wicked Crochet, which was a sample sent with my MPZ purchase.  I just like to have fun with all the pretty pretty colors...