Sunday, May 22, 2011

Night-Blooming Orchid

FOTD & Gig Dry Run: May 21, 2011

Well thank goodness we're all still around to enjoy each other's company and to revel in the beauty we find in the world around us!  As my halau hula is performing at an API (that's Asian-Pacific Islander) cultural event tomorrow, I decided a "dry run" to pick out the shades I want to wear would be a good idea, helping me save me time getting myself ready on the day.  The costume I'm wearing is a Hawaiian print dress with a plum purple background and pale purple, dark green and brick red and white in the print.

Here's what I pulled out for the "dry run"

Meerkat + Catrina Cabaret = LOVE <3




On my face:  Aveda tinted moisturizer with spf in Sweet Tea followed by Meow Cosmetics Equilibrium Balancing Powder and then Meow Pampered Puss foundation in Naughty Korat (I think I may have met my match, lol!)

Eyes:
Fyrinnae Meerkat on lid and foiled on the middle of the lower lids
Fyrinnae Catrina Cabaret in the crease/outer corners
Hi Fi Shimmer Dust blended onto the brow bone
Benefit Eyebright pencil topped with Aromaleigh Pirouette (a sample I picked up on ebay!) on the inner corners
UD 24/7 Pencil in Zero to line upper lash line & lower waterlines
Mixology Indy in the brows to shape/define
Benefit badGal Lash mascara

Cheeks:  Meow PINK Inc. blush in Riot (lovely subtle shade!)

Lips: Revlon Just Bitten lip stain + balm in Beloved

badGal Lash just might be a Holy Grail item for me, though I've read mixed reviews of it out in the world.  Having learned to be wary and take advantage of sample/trial sizes whenever possible, I picked up a mini of this for $9 on Sephora.com a couple months ago while looking for a good mascara that could do double-duty as a lengthening and volumizing product.  In my experience it does both incredibly well, does not immediately wear off or smudge onto my lid/bottom lash line as some had indicated it could, and makes my lashes (which are by no means skimpy or stubby but are pretty wispy) crazy long (touch my groomed brows long!) and beautifully lush.  All in one coat!  I'm in love...

I picked up the Revlon lip stain the other day at my neighborhood Walgreens while I was snatching up a few WnW lippies that were on sale for $0.79 (how crazy is that??), as I thought this might be a good option for stay-put color during a performance without too much gloss or shimmer, which my kumu dislikes on her dancers.  I have to say I'm kind of on the fence with this, as it applies unevenly but once you get your lips covered, let dry, and apply the balm it is very long-wearing and does not transfer.  Interesting but I think I'll keep exploring lip stains to find a better quality product.

MKA,

Lizzy

Disclaimer:  All content is my own opinion only and should in no way be construed as a paid endorsement or representation of any companies named.  I receive no compensation whatsoever from any makeup or other companies named/linked to in my posts for my looks or reviews.  All of the products used in this look I paid for with my own money (my hubby wouldn't have it any other way, lol!), except for Catrina Cabaret, which was a free sample included in my Fyrinnae purchase (you can read Fyrinnae's policy on non-solicitation of reviews here).  I just like to have fun with all the pretty pretty colors...