Friday, May 13, 2011

Finally, Fyrinnae

After months of reading glorious posts by several of my fellow bloggers out in makeupland about the awesomeness that is Fyrinnae, I finally got the chance to check out this "holy grail" of indie makeup companies and see what the hubbub is all about...

First thing I loved:  the website backdrop is a sea of multicolored sparkles (actually this looks like one of those deep space photos where millions of galaxies and nebulae and star clusters look like spilled glitter)!  Turns out this image is almost foreshadowing, but we'll get to that later.





As I navigated through the site, I found another feature that was both intriguing and in the end very helpful: among the options for browsing the extensive collection of eyeshadows is "Shades sorted for eye color & skintone," with lists for various combinations of both.  Being a newcomer to the company, this was a great introduction to Fyrinnae shades and helped reduce that sense of "omg what the heck do I try out first???!?!?!!!?!?!?"

From this option I quickly began to build a Wish List of shades I'd like to try (a feature that becomes available once you register a user ID/password for the site) and although that other Fyrinnae holy grail product--the much-lauded Pixie Epoxy--was not due to return to the catalog for some time I still decided to place my first order.  You may be proud to note--I certainly was--that I exercised some restraint and did not add the entire contents of my wish list to the shopping cart!  The home page advised me that TAT could be as long as "26-28 business days," which is fine by me--gives me something to look forward to.

Bless the heavens, I had my order in my eager little fingers less than 10 calendar days from the day I ordered it.  Funny thing about advance notice of a possibly long TAT: when your stuff comes in after a fraction of the stated period, you are freakin' ecstatic!!

A rainbow of Fyrinnae minis...can you believe these are just $2 each?? They even included a free sample, the dears ;)
L-R: Kamikaze, Arcane Magic-Velvet Vampire, Moon Child, Newcastle, Arcane Magic-Warrior Mage, Boytoy, Arcane Magic-Dragonmagic, Hypercool, Arcane Magic-Glitterboi, and (free) Catrina Cabaret


Yes I did spring for a few full sizes!  L (Top-Bottom): Tyr, Atomic Afterglow, Polar Bear, Meerkat
R (Top-Bottom): Ravens & Writing Desks, Victorian Vamp, Monarch Butterfly

I was impressed with the generosity of the samples (and in jars, soooo much easier to use!) and the fact that the full sizes are literally packed full to the brim--you honestly could not fit any more shadow in there, as Fyrinnae does not put sifters in either the sample or full size jars.  With the quality of these products, you really are getting more bang for your buck here; however if the lack of sifter is something that will bug you, sifters can be had on the cheap from places like ebay or TKB Trading.

Additionally I found myself positively mesmerized as I unpacked all this delicious eye candy--even in the jars, the shades were incredibly rich, complex, and had the look of very expensive silks.  I was nearly crestfallen at the end of the evening to realize that the next day was a work day, meaning I'd likely have to wait to play--oh, the humanity!!

Two days after receiving "the goods," I did this:



On a clean face moisturized by my current fav--handmade, wax-free coconut oil & shea butter cream--I applied Meow's Equilibrium Balancing Powder as primer, then Meow Pampered Puss Foundation in Naughty Korat--I think this might be a good match, stay tuned...

On the eyes:
MAC Paint Pot in Painterly (base)
Fyrinnae Tyr topped with Boytoy (on the lids & blended up into lower crease to "smoke it out")
Fyrinnae Moon Child (brow bone & upper crease)
Fyrinnae Polar Bear (inner corners)
More Boytoy patted across lower lash line
Antoinette's Revolution Cosmetics Powdered Wigs (just under brow to highlight)
Indy by Mixology (brows)
MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack (upper lash line/lower waterlines)
Fresh Magic Wands mascara duo

I took Meow's Taboo Blush in Racy for a test drive in this look--very nice ;)

On the lips:  MAC Dark Side (love this shade!!  So pin-up GORGEOUS <3) with a touch of MAC Dazzleglass in Love Alert



Close-up; my camera's flash is pretty strong stuff o.0
For me, this is a great "night out on the town" look--especially flashy for the dance floor!  I absolutely adore the Fyrinnae--they are stunning and versatile and I love this combination of greens and golds ;D  Pure bliss!

And you, dear and patient followers?  What are your Fyrinnae favorites?

MKA,

Lizzy

Disclaimer:  All content is my own opinion only and should in no way be construed as a paid endorsement or representation of any companies named.  I receive no compensation whatsoever from any makeup or other companies named/linked to in my posts for my looks or reviews.  All of the products used in this look I paid for with my own money (my hubby wouldn't have it any other way, lol!), except for one free sample included in my Fyrinnae purchase (you can read Fyrinnae's policy on non-solicitation of reviews here).  I just like to have fun with all the pretty pretty colors...