Monday, February 21, 2011

Striptease

Disclaimer:  All content is my own opinion only and should in no way be construed as a paid endorsement or representation of any companies named.  I receive no compensation whatsoever from any makeup or other companies named/linked to in my posts for my looks or reviews.  I just like to have fun with all the pretty pretty colors...

Updated March 20, 2011.


LOTD January 28, 2011

Today I wondered: can I do a look with just one MMU pigment??

Well, of course you can always just use one shade on your eyes--folks do this all the time--but to use one shade and get the effects of shimmer/shine, highlighting, and contouring usually achieved by applying several different pigments is more of a challenge!

Challenge to myself accepted: here is Striptease in all her glory!



The only thing I regret about this look is not having a camera that adequately captures how much depth I got out of this one shade  >.<  You can, however see a hint of the smoky brown that this pressure-sensitive shade becomes when blended out (as I did in the crease/outer v of the eyes), as well as the nude shimmer on the lid and pale highlight on brow bone/inner corners.  I wore this look to work today, and folks were shocked that it was all one shade of eyeshadow!

Over clean & moisturized skin, I applied my favorite foundation & setting powder, followed by a sweep of bronzer--I seem to be all thumbs when it comes to applying blush but bronzer is a snap for me so I tend to reach for it first ;)

Application for the eye color went as follows:

1)  Apply primer to lids (today I went with e.l.f. Mineral Eyeshadow Primer )

2)  Lightly dip an eyeshadow brush into a pressure-sensitive nude beige/brown shadow (several MMU brands have experimented with pressure-sensitive pigments, check out Project Safe Indie on FB for some reputable companies to try) and very gently pat onto lid from lash line to brows for a nude shimmer.  Be very careful not to apply too much pressure, as this will bring out the brown in the shadow and result in a more monotone application!

3)  Pick up more of the same shadow and blend into crease and outer "v" of eyes to contour; applying more pressure here and blending out the shadow will result in a deeper brown shade in this area of the eye, creating more depth to the look.

4)  Once again pick up a bit more of your chosen shade and again very gently pat onto just the lid to increase the intensity of this shade/shimmer without turning it brown.

5)  Line upper lash line with brown eyeliner (I used e.l.f's Mineral Eye Liner in Coffee)

6)  Blend matte brown shadow into brows to shape & define (today I used Indy by Mixology, a new fav shade for brows!)

7)  Apply black mascara to lashes (right now I'm loving BADgal Lash by Benefit--really brings out the glam!)

8)  Finish off the look with some sheer pink lip gloss (Lip Shine in Grapefruit Pulp by Aveda is still one of my favs despite the price tag; the stuff lasts practically all day and makes my lips feel GREAT!!)




Subtle, simple, quick and beautiful--just what everyday makeup should be ;)  It would take little more to turn this into a stunning pinup-style look: perhaps lightly dust a little sparkle powder over the top of the eyeshadow, use black or plum eyeliner on the upper lash line + lower waterlines to make the eyes pop a bit more, and add either mega-lengthening/thickening mascara (maybe primer + 2 coats??) or false lashes, and a lovely red lipstick and you've gone from daytime to DAMN!!

What's your favorite go-to shade for those on-the-run one-color-on-the-eyes days?  Feel free to share by posting a comment--I'd love to hear your experiences!

MKA (Me ke aloha = with love)

Lizzy