Monday, January 24, 2011

Lady Marmalade!

Disclaimer:  All content is my own opinion only and should in no way be construed as a paid endorsement or representation of any companies named.  I receive no compensation whatsoever from any makeup or other companies named/linked to in my posts for my looks or reviews.  I just like to have fun with all the pretty pretty colors...

LOTD January 24, 2011

Updated March 20, 2011.  Inspired by a fellow MMU fangirl's swatches and overjoyed at having received one haul today (thank you Mr. Postman!!), I cloistered myself in my bathroom and put a look together with a few of the shades I'd especially lusted over in the collection.  Named for the positively stunning orange color, here is Lady Marmalade!



Notice any differences between this pic and the ones from my previous posts?  Anyone? Bueller??  Well there's two major changes:  new camera for one--all the better to capture the actual look than my little iPhone 3G (bless it's poor lil' 3 megapixel camera!).  While not exactly the same as what I see in the mirror, it did a bang-up job of taking a pic in lower indoor light without a flash and producing a sharper, clearer pic that showcases the various shades used in my looks.

The other thing is--I was so excited to test drive the new shades that although I did indeed begin the look with clean and moisturized skin and primed my eyelids, I did not apply foundation, finishing powder, or concealer!!  Yes, faithful followers, I was that excited ;)

Yeah, so you can see the flaws I usually hide under color correctors: a beauty mark under my left eye, a red spot that gives away the location of a broken blood vessel above my left brow (which my little sister swears is the result of quirking said eyebrow skeptically once too often), and a bit of dark puffy baggage under my eyes.  Eeek.

The crater (scar) nearly dead center between my brows I never even try to hide--it's out & proud, a leftover from what used to be an obligatory childhood wrassle with chicken pox (kiddies these days get to skip it and get vaccinated instead ;p)

"Lady Marmalade" with a flash
Here's how I prettied up my eyes today:

1)  Foil the "OMG freakin' amazing coppery orange" shadow of your choice--mahalo Amanda T. for the excellent color description lol... (I hear Napalm by Concrete Minerals is well loved by Emily's fans) and apply to lid and outer 2/3 of lower lid

2)  Blend a rich shimmery chocolate brown into crease and outer corner; take more of this shade on an angled liner brush and line just the outer 2/3 of upper lid

3)  Pat a bit of metallic bronze over the top of the chocolate brown

4)  Apply a shimmery nude/champagne on the brow bone and blend blend blend into the upper edge of the chocolate brown/metallic bronze to make a soft pretty gradient

5)  Dab a bit more of the champagne shade into inner corners of eyes and inner 1/3 of lower lid

6)  Line lower waterlines with black eyeliner (I used e.l.f.'s Mineral Eye Liner in Black)

7)  Blend medium brown shadow into brows to shape/define (I used my new fav brow shade--Indy by Mixology)

8)  Apply primer to lashes (I used MAC Prep + Prime) and add 1-2 coats of black mascara (today I'm wearing MAC False Lashes mascara in Black--loving this right now!!)

9)  Mix the coppery orange + shimmery nude champagne shadows with clear gloss & apply to lips


So I cheated by not applying foundation, etc. to the face; I think I'd rather adhere to my usual routine and wear foundation/concealer as well as perhaps some mineral glow or bronzer to amp up the glam ;)  Next time...


Bonus: this isn't a vlog, but here's the closest thing I've got to an outtake

trying to figure out your new "point-n-shoot" can be frustrating...