Sunday, January 23, 2011

Honey Sweet

Disclaimer:  All content is my own opinion only and should in no way be construed as a paid endorsement or representation of any companies named.  I receive no compensation whatsoever from any makeup or other companies named/linked to in my posts for my looks or reviews.  I just like to have fun with all the pretty pretty colors...

LOTD January 3, 2011: Honey Sweet

Updated March 20, 2011.  The news came in around the Holidays that the Pantone Color Institute had dubbed Honeysuckle (a saturated pink-coral shade) Color of the Year 2011; to celebrate, designers like Badgley Mischka have put out bouquets of Honeysuckle-colored items for their upcoming lines and many makeup companies have gotten busy mixing up gorgeousness in a matching hue.

Now I've never been a huge fan of hot pinks, but this?  Oh, I TOTALLY bought it ;)  It arrived in plenty of time for the New Year and I would have rocked a super-glam look featuring this color for NYE.  Except that I was miserably sick THE WHOLE WEEKEND.  Bleh.  So no cooking with my in-laws for the traditional New Year's Day feast, no NYE parties (in or out), and no visiting the relatives on January 1st for good food and laughter and hugs from my nieces and nephews (that was the worst).  I even had to take out my contacts--so no makeup either.

But today:  Hooray!!  The bugs have been exterminated, clean-up has begun, and now I'm celebrating with a look that features a honeysuckle-colored mineral eye color.

Here is Honey Sweet:

I'm looking a bit surprised here: maybe because I'm wearing such a SHOCKING pink??  lol

I have to say that these pics don't quite do the look, or the honeysuckle shadow, justice; the shade is absolutely gorgeous on the eyes and lips (probably nails too but that's a different blog post, eh?)!!  For some reason--probably the florescent lighting in my bathroom--the pics ended up a bit washed-out.  Oh well...on to the look!

By now my faithful followers know my makeup application routine: mineral foundation applied to clean,  moisturized skin (would you believe I make my own cream?  In a blender??) and then topped off with a mineral finishing powder.  Now I tend to be a bit heavy-handed with my foundation brush, so I end up applying my concealers after my foundation (a green color corrector on a broken blood vessel I have on my forehead and an apricot shade under my eyes) and then patting a tad more foundation over the top and BLENDING THE HECK out of the edges.

After applying a primer to my eyelids, I continued the application as follows:

1)  Blend a pale frosted pink cream eyeshadow/liner over the lid

2)  Pat a shimmery neutral with peachy-pink tones over the pink cream shadow and blend upward slightly into crease

3)  Pat your choice of honeysuckle pink into crease and outer corner of eye and blend slightly upward; take a bit more of this shade and drag down across outer 1/2 of lower lid

4)  Apply a frosted pale pink shadow to brow bone and blend down into upper edge of the honeysuckle pink; apply more pale pink shadow to inner corner of eye and inner 1/2 of lower lid

5)  Line upper lash lines and lower waterlines with black gel eyeliner (I used MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack)

6)  Blend matte brown eyeshadow into brows to shape & define (I used Kettle loose mineral matte shadow by Pink Quartz Minerals--really simple and lovely matte shadows!)

7)  Apply black mascara to upper lashes (I used Aveda Mosscara in Black Forest)

8)  Mix the honeysuckle pink shadow with lip balm (mine was homemade) and apply to lips

Et voila!



This look was fun, flirtatious, and definitely daytime-wearable; for night you could amp it up by intensifying (maybe even foiling) the honeysuckle pink on the lid, adding more mascara or fake lashes, and wearing a darker shade on the lips.

See?  Shocking pinks can be your friend ;)