Sunday, January 23, 2011

Poliahu

Disclaimer:  All content is my own opinion only and should in no way be construed as a paid endorsement or representation of any companies named.  I receive no compensation whatsoever from any makeup or other companies named/linked to in my posts for my looks or reviews.  I just like to have fun with all the pretty pretty colors...

LOTD January 7, 2011: Poliahu


Updated March 20, 2011.  When I got the shades from this recent haul in my hot little hands (feverish again, if you'll recall, because I was sick when these beauties arrived!) and recovered from the world's most blah NYE, I put this look together.

And fell in serious makeup lust.  Lust, I say!!  Here's the look:


(I call her Poliahu for the snow goddess who lives on Mauna Kea on the island of Hawai'i.  She is legendary for, among other things: battling with Pele for dominance of the island, visiting her sister who lives on Maui and thereby blanketing the summit of Haleakala with snow while in residence, and having affairs with the significant others of a number of goddesses.  Kind of a firecracker, for an ice queen, huh?)

You know the rules:  start with clean, moisturized skin, apply your fav foundation (and finishing powder, if desired) and corrector/concealer as needed, then prime the eyelids with whichever primer works best for you.  The more I play in the Wide World of Makeup, the more I'm learning that although there may be some standards and objective measures for determining quality, determining a favorite is an intensely personal process--so hey, find what works best for you.  By the time I did this FOTD, I'd tried three different mineral makeup eye primers and thus far I have yet to find my fav.  So I used the first one that came to hand, along with a mineral foundation that was a good match for my face.  I also set the foundation with a bare sweep of mineral finishing powder and hid my little flaws with color correctors in green and apricot.

Ready for the eyes?  Here we go...

1)  Pat a sparkly blue-silver shade of your choice on the lid only.  This kind of shade is so incredible on my nani browns, the pics really don't do it justice, and I absolutely love it!!  Seriously, as I was applying it, I kept stopping to admire it in the mirror and saying to myself "this is freakin' amazing!!"

2)  Pat a smoky plum purple shadow into the crease and outer corner of the eye, blending upward slightly and dragging the color down onto the outer 2/3 of lower lid.  Also an awesome shade for brown eyes, and like the ice blue, I kept stopping to gaze dumbly at it...

3)  Apply a shimmery ice blue to brow bone and blend down into upper edge of the plum purple shadow to smoke it out and make a pretty gradient; take more of the ice blue and dab into inner corners of eyes and pat onto inner 1/3 of lower lid.

4)  Line upper lash line and lower waterline with a violet gel/creamliner

5)  Blend matte brown shadow (like Kettle by Pink Quartz Minerals) into brows and apply mascara to lashes.

6)  Mix a dusky rose shadow with a shimmery gold gloss (I used Lip Shine in Golden Prism by Aveda, a gift I got for Christmas)

I'm not kidding you, it breaks my heart sometimes that I don't yet have a camera that can take a nice clear pic of looks like this!!  Sigh...

By the way, like the little bits of shimmery gray in my ears?  Go check out TotusMel's shop...she has some incredibly lovely and delicate adornments for ears, hair, neck, wrist/ankles, and face--fantastic!!

I have to say this is definitely a day or night look, but not necessarily a work look (well not for a social worker like myself--usually have to tone it down for the j-o-b).  I love the colors so much though, that I would gladly wear this look again...and again...

Oh, wait!  I did!!  I wore this beauty out to a First Friday (ladies' night out) with my sister-friends.  We went to a crab shack this time, so the lips were looking not so shimmery by night's end (though plenty shiny LOL), but the eyes stayed glamoroso all evening!  Gorgeous and long wearing?  That is beautiful...